Lavazza Matinee – Descaling Guide
The LavAzza Matinee capsule espresso machine is very rugged and requires little maintenance. However, as with any espresso machine minerals in your water can cause scale deposits inside the machine which can lead to performance and even maintenance issues. Therefore, to maintain optimum brewing performance and machine longevity it is best to descale this machine on a regular basis. The desired descaling frequency is highly dependant on the hardness and composition of the water being used; however, for most applications descaling once every 3-months is usually sufficient. If you know your water is very hard you may wish to descale more frequently, or even consider using water from another source for brewing such as bottled water.
- Make sure the machine power switch is turned off and unplug the power cord from the wall.
- Unlock and remove the top machine lid, carefully lift the plastic water tank lid out of the way (do not remove rubber tubes) and fill the water tank about 1/4 full with warm water (approximately 32 ounces).
- Add 1 packet of an espresso machine descaler to the water tank and mix well. Important Note: Only use an espresso machine descaler specifically designed to be added to the water tank for this type of machine. Never use vinegar or other cleaners that are designed for external use or other applications. If unsure, ask the cleaner manufacturer or supplier. The appropriate descaler that we carry is the Urnex Dezcal Activated Scale Remover.
- Replace the water tank lid and machine lid then plug in the power cord and turn on the machine power switch.
- Once the brewing lights come on indicating the machine is up to temperature place a large cup under the steam wand and press the "hot water" button (NOT the "steam button"), allowing approximately 5-6 ounces of the cleaning solution to flow into the cup then press "stop".
- Insert an empty or used capsule (just to reset the machine) and press the "large" button, letting the cleaning solution run through the brew area into a large cup until it stops automatically.
- Alternately repeat steps 5 & 6 until most of the cleaning solution is used up then turn off the machine power switch and unplug the power cord from the wall.
- Remove the water tank and rinse it out well, then reinstall it and fill with clean water. Replace the water tank lid and machine lid, plug in the power cord and turn on the machine power switch.
- Finally, repeat steps 5 & 6 using clean water to flush the system approximately 3-4 times until it flows clear.